Monday, May 14, 2012

A full year later...

Waxing philosophical on the concept of the platitude "You deserve to be happy". I think everyone's had someone say that to them at some point...but does everyone really deserve to be happy? Theological views aside, what REASON is there that every person deserves to be happy? What qualifies that right? Is it just the fact that we are human, intelligent, capable of grasping the concept of happiness?

The best answer I've been able to come up with is this. You deserve to be as happy as you make others.
This balances out the universe. You deserve as much happiness as you put back into the world.

Of course, this doesn't address the fact that many who then SHOULD be much much happier often aren't.
So is this phrase just that? A phrase. Something people say to give others comfort because it requires no reasoning, no backing, no justification? It's a feel good, non obligation statement that can be thrown out without risk?

I'm just stuck on the concept of DO we really deserve to be happy?

3 comments:

Splat the Lobster Girl said...

There is one school of thought that happiness is not something that is deserved or sought after, but it is a choice.

There are factors that make it easy for us to choose happiness or unhappiness but it is still ultimately our choice.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree so much as I think it's an interesting perspective. I personally think that what you get out of life is directly proportional to what you put into it.

Anonymous said...

hi, stranger here.

remember when we were kids, adults cheered up in front of us and they even create clowns for some unkown reasons. it's just them (adults), but let's be honest, do we (back then) really need or want all that excessive expression "of happiness"?

I won't say east and western philosophy, but there is a way that greatly emphasize on things that are easily visible and grasped which is happines contra sadness, and there is one that merely emphasize on that purity of childhood before we know the concept of happiness and sadness, before living becomes a conscious choice/effort (or even a battle) of mind.

the second one is a tough "choice" in my opinion, it requires you to be a very different kind of human but I believe that a form of a flower only reflects the order of the seed. if you have IT, the whole way of your life already a reflection of it.

LionSolitaire said...

See, to me this is really simple.
It depends on how big your heart is, on how much you are willing to love and be loved.

It is not important whether you show this or not. Me, personally, I am a person who does not show feelings in most situations. I keep them to myself and I normally don't let people climb up the wall behind which I hide my emotions.

So I can say that there is nobody but me who can find an answer to this question and there is nobody else but you who can find out whether you deserve to be happy or not.

I really do not want to sound arrogant, but yes, I would consider myself a person who deserves happiness and I am the only person who can decide that, because only I know how much being happy means to me and how much I wish for something to tear down my wall and put away all the sad things and feelings I have lived.

I hope you understand my point of view and don't see this comment as a waste of space

Have a good time and enjoy every little thing on earth that makes you the person that you are